quinta-feira, 27 de janeiro de 2022

Super-condensed D&D - Playing with quick rules

So, I wanted to run a new game last week, but I was kind of insecure to run it. But my players wanted me to run it, so I kept with the idea. We started the session. I helped the players with the character creation. Very quick to be honest. And we started playing.
We started our D&D campaign. Of course, I wasn't going to play one of the original games or popular OSR variations. We are playing my own set of rulings. We are playing a boiled down version with a d10 roll over core mechanic for combats. Arnesonian/Barkerian game.

Here is one of the characters of the campaign (this character hasn't appeared in the game yet):

Name: Castiel Von Linders
Race: Human
Profession: Fighter
Weapon: Shield
Armor: Plate mail

Simple character sheet. And he is ready to make up cool stuff and go on adventures.
The point here is I wanted to explore a new setting I discovered recently, as it was kind of interesting for me (it is called "Pact of Dragons"). But of course, since it has very few metaplots (almost none), I wanted to run my campaign in this setting with my own vision, my own version. The first session was awesome, I used the adventure module that came with the setting's quickplay PDF to start the campaign. The session ended with a cliffhanger and we are going to have new player characters in the next session this week.

Now I'll talk about the procedures of play. Everything was based in the kind of game I wanted to play. The combats are and will always be deadly. I determine initiative any way I like. To attack, roll a d10, try for high. I hate hit points, but since it's a fantasy game, I want to have hit points (and variable damage too). Characters started at Level 1, with 6 HP. They advanced to the Level 2 in the first session. After levelling up, they get 2 points to their current. Now they have 8 HP. I decided to introduce the hit points because, in the fantasy games, it’s not that uncommon to fight against different kinds of opponents on any given day. Also, combat is chaos, it has lots of uncertainty. One blow might knock you down, or barely scratch you. And that's what I am applying in my D&D campaign.

Okay, I am explaining the rulings for this campaign from the beginning, starting for the character creation. Choose a cool name, the race, the class (profession as I am calling at the table), a signature weapon and a signature armor for your character. You start with three spells if you are a magic user. The spells will be chosen from a list I will show you.
No dice outside combat. The early role-playing games had rules only for combat, so I am honouring this fact at the table. During combats, roll a d10. Roll high to hit. I am not telling you the exact number. If you hit successfully, the enemy dies instantly or resist damage, depending of the kind of enemy. Each successful attack reduces your hits by 1 or more points depending on the weapon or magic. When reduced to half of your hit points, the character is now bleeding and will lose 1 hit point per round until help comes. If you’re down to 0 HP, roll the d10 to being critically injured and eventually dying. Higher is better. Failing the death saving throw means your character is dead. If successful, the character comes back with 2 HP.

That's it. Nothing but D&D. It feels like D&D, and it certainly plays like D&D, only faster. And, just like in pre-D&D roleplaying games, I can add stuff on the fly if I want to.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário